Friday, March 12, 2010

Mr. Scruff - Get A Move On

A friend of mine recently asked me who my favourite DJ was. It's a pretty difficult question given how varied my musical interests are and how much amazing talent is out there. There's also a huge variance in what people look for in DJs. Some people want scratch DJs, some people want pumping electro, some just want funky beats without too much static in the middle. Given that it's hard to pick someone who is better than another when their skills are different, but if I had to pick one DJ to come play a house party for me and all my friends tomorrow I would pick Mr. Scruff.

Who?

His real name is Andy Carthy, and he's an amazingly talented artist from England who plays just about everything. From hip-hop to trip-hop, from funk to crunk, this guy is on the beat and packed with heat. His 2004 album "Keep It Solid Steel" was hugely influential for me, taking listeners on a journey from dub reggae to old school rap to nu jazz to stuff I can't even describe. This guy's the biz, and he's a dope producer too. Inspiring stuff. Check this classic you've probably heard before.


Cha-ching.

No comments:

Post a Comment