Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Barra MacNeils - Coal Town Road

Today is Alexander Keith's birthday. Strangely, I've heard some reports that people are celebrating his 200th birthday. While I applaud any excuse required to party, it should be pointed out that Mr. Keith was born in 1795, making him 215 today, and his brewery was founded in 1820, so we've a good decade to go before we can celebrate that one. In any event, we have the good sir to thank for many, many wonderful and decidedly awkward moments here in the east.

To celebrate this occasion I feel some east coast music would be most appropriate, and probably something that Mr. Keith might enjoy, so today I've chosen the Barra MacNeils from Cape Breton to sing about some folk who might know a thing or two about drinking Mr. Keith's tasty beverages. As a young lad in Toronto my parents drove us east every summer to visit relatives, and this track was the first song on volume 1 of The Sounds Of Nova Scotia, a tape that found itself played many, many times on said trips. As such, I hope you enjoy this little snippet of my childhood, and raise a frosty glass to Mr. Keith.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment