Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Best of 2010 Part 4

Last night I watched another movie, this time it was Kick-Ass. You might have heard of it, or maybe not. I hadn't really until a few weeks ago, and I really didn't have any idea what to expect. It's a Canadian film directed by Matthew Vaughn, who also did Layer Cake, and I'm happy to report that this movie did indeed kick ass. I highly recommend checking it out. Action galore, lots of funnies, and a pretty cool story line. Definitely not a movie for kids. Believe me, the trailer does not do this justice. If you've got two hours of spare time, this is a good option.

Back to the tunes, we're pushing on past halfway now, inching closer and closer to the big guns...

#12
Rox
Memoirs


We start off today with British singer Roxanne Tataei, or Rox for short. I posted her single "My Baby Left Me" back in March, and I have to admit that at the time it sounded like it had lots of one hit wonder potential scribbled all over it. Thankfully I was dead wrong. This girl is an outstanding talent who writes her own songs and perform them well in front of lots of people.

She kinda sounds a bit like Christina Aguilera singing Lauryn Hill songs. It's very soft on the ears. She mixes in some upbeat pop and a little reggae vibe, but at it's core this is very much a classic soul album. A bit like Amy Winehouse, minus the whining and the petty attitude. Actually I like this album a lot more. If she can keep her songwriting on the edge, this girl is going places.

I Don't Believe


Precious Moments


No Going Back


#11
Jónsi
Go


This one was a bit predictable. I posted the first single way back in February, and even before the album came out I knew this would be there or thereabouts on most critics' "best of" lists. On this one I have to agree. Jón Birgisson, known simply as Jónsi, is the lead singer of Sigur Rós, a magnificent Icelandic group who you should really get into. This is his solo album, and while it certainly has that ethereal feel to it, it combines far more pop elements into it than anything he had done with the band.

This is not the type of stuff you'll hear me playing at the bar, and you won't find it on television. It's real thinking music. The kind of music you put on and pay attention to, it's not for background purposes unless you want it to help you dream. From all accounts the live show was something to behold, and I believe it. There's so much emotion in every song that it just seems like something you'd need to take in viscerally and not just through your ears. This might be a good place to start though.

Hengilás


Boy Lilikoi


Tornado


#10
Jamiroquai
Rock Dust Light Star


A lot of people think that Jamiroquai is just one person. In actuality they're a band fronted by Jason Cheetham, aka Jay Kay. They've been around for a while now, almost 20 years in fact, but they're still bringing the funk like nobody's business. I have a feeling these guys would be just about the coolest house party band that money could buy.

The newest album, from a critical standpoint, might not be as good as some of the previous albums on the list, but it gets bonus marks for being funky as hell and a lot of fun to listen to. For me it's their best album since 1999's "Synkronized". I posted a remix of the first single a while back, but you should probably hear the original mix because it's awesome. Now push play and dance.

White Knuckle Ride


That's Not The Funk I Want


Smoke And Mirrors


BONUS BEATS!

Guti & Dubshape - Every Cow Has A Bird


Love that track. Part 5 tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment