Wednesday, December 15, 2010

DECEMBER MEGA POST

I took a week off to recharge the batteries, so I figure I owe the universe a week's worth of music. Also, aside from manning my usual Thurs-Fri-Sat night post at the new look Phoenix, I'll be opening up Sunday's Feels Good Christmas party, on from 7-9, spinning some sweet jazz/funk/soul that you should probably check out. Last year's party was easily the party of the year, so I can't stress enough how you shouldn't miss out on this one. Art, music, crazy people, and delicious delicious beer all in one place. Forget your boring work party, or even better move it to the Capital this Sunday. Trust me. Without further adieu, buckle up and enjoy these mad chunes.

We'll start off with a little blast from the past. Shout outs to Mad Mike who played a little bass this past weekend for KO at the Sound Academy in Toronto, opening up for Thornley and Big Wreck. Yes, that's right. Big Wreck. These guys rock like few others. Ian Thornley is a ridiculous guitar player and really if you haven't seen him live you are missing out. The Franchise was in attendance this past weekend, and this video brings back memories of the most epic weekend of partying I've ever been a part of, Molson Snowjam 2005. Thornley played at Marble Mountain in Newfoundland and blew the roof off. I'd tell you the story, but it requires both of us to be present along with at least an hour of your time and a whole lot of delicious delicious beer. I can't think of another band I'd rather see play at the Capital. Well, The Bronx would be pretty sweet too. Zach, make it happen.

Big Wreck - Blown Wide Open [Live @ SnowJam '98]


Way back when at least a decade ago this tune from Shakedown absolutely exploded on the house scene with Kid Creme's monster remix. Classic funky house par excellence, this is the lesser known original beat with accompanying video I didn't even know existed. The beat is still as fresh as I remember it, proving once again that class is permanent. Expect to hear this at least once this weekend if you're at the Phoenix, cause we're bringing back the funk.

Shakedown - At Night


Grooving right along... Kraak & Smaak represent the funk nicely with this new beat. I got the Boogie Funk Version of this and loved it, I think I might like the original even better. These guys are actually a trio from the Netherlands. I'd like to think that musical awesomeness is spread fairly even across the globe, and in large part it is, but there's just something about the funky greatness that comes out of Europe that makes me think that these guys really know how to party. DJ B-Ray World Tour? Hells yes please. Someone tell that Bill Gates guy to send a few Grovers to help a brother out.

Kraak & Smaak - Dynamite


Fin Greenall, aka Fink, is a really cool guy I'd like to meet. I don't necessarily like all his music, but the guy has mad talent and spreads it around. He's been a DJ, promoter, singer, songwriter, and producer and is part of the bad-ass Ninja Tune label. This is my favourite track of his, a live cut done a little different from the studio version. His 2006 album "Biscuits For Breakfast" is definitely worth checking out. Dig it.

Fink - Pretty Little Thing [Live @ One Shot Not]


"Noesis" is the title of the new album from Jay Denes, aka Blue Six, that features this groovy goodness that I just heard tonight. I first heard his awesome track "Music And Wine" years ago and immediately got my hands on his 2002 disc "Beautiful Tomorrow" which was a soulful house masterpiece. Apparently there's another one out there called "Aquarian Angel" that came out a couple years ago, but I haven't heard any of it yet. It's on my list of things to do. Like soon. You will definitely hear one of his tracks coming out of the speakers on Sunday evening.

Blue Six - You Play Too Rough


You've probably heard of similarish artist M.I.A., but maybe not Santigold. Especially since she was originally Santogold, but changed her stage name to avoid a douchey lawsuit. Santi is awesome not just because her music is dope, but because she writes and produces her own stuff, and it's all different. Some sounds punkish kinda like No Doubt, and some sounds just plain whack, like "Starstruck". I like variety, so I give her two thumbs up. Give her a shot.

Santigold - Creator


...and finally we have Barrington Levy. One of the legends of the Jamaican reggae scene, Mr. Levy is known for his unique voice and singing style. Sounds kind of like he's using autotune, but he ain't. His most famous tracks are probably "Too Experienced" and "Murderer", but this is the one I like best. It's got kind of air of '80's rock ballad to it and it's just one of those songs that sticks in your mind and makes you think. Kinda makes you want to raise your lighter up and light that dang flame too. Not lip syncing here either. Spread the love.

Barrington Levy - Vice Versa Love [Live]


BONUS BEATS!

Alexkid - Nightshade


Bobby Hughes Combination - Theme From Skidoo


Dublex Inc. - Nifty Nights [Monophonic Remix]


Llorca - The Novel Sound


Sandboy - Viver [Butti 49 Re-Fusion]


Phew. I hope that makes up for my little vacation. See ya tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment