Sunday, December 27, 2015

Best of 2015 Part 3

On to day 3 and so far I'm only regretting one selection, but it's a minor issue of ordering so that's pretty good. I'm sure I'll find some albums early in 2016 that I complete missed from this year that will scream "I should have been there!" but them's the breaks. Times are busy so let's get back to what we're here for.

#15
Jamie xx
In Colour


I really just want to call this guy Jamie Smith, because that's what his name is and the 'xx' part is stupid. Anyway I was surprised by this album. I didn't think I would be into it at all, but after a couple listens I was pretty impressed. Not really sure what I expected.

Like his old music with 'The xx', this album has a layered, ethereal sound that's progressive, but in a measured way. He uses space well, with minimal foreground dripped on top of sweeping atmosphere. Only a couple tracks feature any meaningful lyrics, which isn't bad by any means. My least favorite track is the most mainstream one featuring Young Thug. I don't really hear any classic singles, but it works as a collection from front to back.

Gosh


Sleep Sound


Loud Places


#14
Uffe
Radio Days


Uffe Christensen is a Danish electronic producer who has only done singles up until now. In his first full-length album he's done a commendable job of putting together catchy beats and blending them into a cohesive construct. Nothing feels out of place.

His sound is glitchy, minimalist, and eclectic. There are moments of late night deep tech house, bouncy UK garage grooves, downtempo trip-hop, and just a whole whack of varied sounds mashed together. It reminds me of slightly more subdued Siriusmo, another spastic producer who has featured on these charts before. Do yourself a favour and check this one out.

I Can Show You High


Lemon Nights


Die For You


#13
John Tejada
Signs Under Test


Another ethereal album, awash in reverb but more pulsing than Jamie xx. This one is purely instrumental. I think the best description is late night trance tech. This latest album from the Austrian producer isn't overly emotive, it just kind of expands through stillness.

Some really interesting synth choices really help accentuate the melodic lines in between frazzled fringe percussion. There's a lot of care taken to use air to give a delicate sense of changing pressure, as if the music were going for a deep sea dive down a tunnel. Probably not for those who aren't intently into electronic music, but I found it captivating.

Two 0 One


Beacht


Meadow


EP #5
Møme
Cosmopolitan


This is Jérémy Souillart. He's French, but he lives in Australia. Interesting decision. He makes what I guess you'd call chillwave, or maybe chillstep? I dunno. Genres are so often lost on me now, not that they're important. Gender, genre, seems to be a theme there. Anyway I digress. This is great collection of five tracks, including a booming psychedelic house track at the end. Two thumbs way up.

Cyclope


Hangover


Cosmopolitan


Tomorrow we tickle the toes of the top 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment